Saturday, December 1, 2007

Joy and Perfect Peace

This morning I heard the sweet voice of our son before I saw his sweet face. His first words of the day? "It's December!"

The smile on my face came from my heart. The joys of children at Christmastime.

I lay in my nice warm bed looking out the window at the wind tossing leaves around thinking... December, the year is almost gone... Do I really want to dig into the "wrapping presents" scene today... where will I find a sturdy fireplace set that we can afford... Then I heard the patter of footsteps trotting toward my bed.

Our oldest son "whispered", "STOP! Leave her alone; let her sleep in!"

"I just want to tell her it's December!"

Dustin plopped up next to me. "Happy December, Mommy!" His smile was contagious and sparkles glittered in his eyes. A soft kiss came my way. "Now, I'll let you do what you let us do yesterday." He ran to the doorway.

"What's that?" I asked, puzzled.

"Sleep till you wake up!" He replied innocently.

"Okay, Thanks, buddy." He wanted me to have a peaceful morning, didn't he? But the excitement of DECEMBER (CHRISTMAS!!) just overflowed and he had to share the joy!

Last night we watched the movie Gods and Generals. It focused a lot on Stonewall Jackson and his part in the Civil War. His faith was amazing to say the least. Sitting tall and confident on his horse in the midst of battle - a seemingly easy target for the enemy. A soldier asked him how he could do that; how could he not fear the cannon? Jackson's reply penetrated my soul -- I know I won't get the quote word for word, but -- "My religious belief doesn't offer fear. God is in control of the timetable of my life. I won't die until He so chooses in His perfect will for me to do so. My only duty is to be ready."

I'm sure my countenance mirrored the soldier's - awe.

That assurance in God's ultimate and total control of a surrendered life yields perfect peace.

"You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You." Isaiah 26:3 NKJV

This time of year we hear the word "Peace", but our hearts often feel far less than peaceful. I find myself there, anyway. Christmas lists. Christmas cards. Christmas parties. Christmas parades. Christmas shows. Christmas shopping. Christmas schedules. Christmas budget (or lack thereof) :)

The demands our culture has put upon this Holiday can be overwhelming. It is a challenge to even remember why we celebrate it sometimes. BUT I saw those sparkles in my son's eyes ... WHAT A HOLIDAY! Jesus came! I want MY joy to be so evident that it's contagious to anyone I meet. I want MY mind to be so consumed with Jesus that HIS perfect peace is evident in my confidence that HE is in control.

During this time of year when the lines are too long, when the ONE toy left that you reached for got snatched right out from under you, when the world tells us we can't say MERRY CHRISTMAS, when your schedule is bursting at the seams, and on and on it goes... Let us be careful. We must not let the gifts replace THE Gift.

Jesus came. "But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves." John 17:13 Jesus prayed that prayer for us. Oh, that HIS joy will be fulfilled in us.

Joy and Peace - two traditional themes for Christmas. The REAL joy and peace can only come from the One who came.

Joy and Perfect Peace to all - through and only through The Gift of our Savior, MY KING!

1 comment:

Leila - mommyof4 said...

What a great post, as always, Jan. I have found it hard with the morning sickness to get into the Christmas spirit" rhis year- this post put me a little closer. Love to you all!!