Friday, August 10, 2007

What's Up With Your Scene?


Gotta start by saying:


Happy Birthday, Kathy!!! I love you!!

(If you don't know Kathy and her family, aahh, you just don't know what you're missing... what a wonderful family.)


Okay...

Scenes. We all make 'em.

If you have a child that's older than a toddler, you've experienced the stares of others watching how you're going to handle your "scene."

The pressure! You're in Wal-Mart. Your toddler wants that unimaginable toy -- I don't know, some little electronic remote something or other that looks like it should cost a couple bucks, but really costs fifty because of the computer chip that makes the thing look, act, feel real! So, you say, "We can't get that, honey," in your nice parental controlled tone.

"Why?"

"Well, because it's too much money and we have to eat. We can't eat toys, sweetheart."

"But I want it!" The pout starts. Vocal volume increases.

"Oh, I know, but you know we can't always get what we want." And in your mind you add if we did I'd not be driving a ten-year-old minivan, that's for sure! I'd have a cool shiny SUV with --

"BUT I WANT IT!" The cart starts rocking as that sweet little toddler has a death grip on the handle jerking himself back and forth in the front child seat. The child's sweet little eyes aren't so sweet anymore!

What happened to my baby? He's transformed into this... this... small person that, before I had children I swore my children would never be!!!

Then you feel them -- eyes. Millions of eyes all in your direction. The pressure. Heart palpitations begin.

So, biting your lip, you wonder which of these millions of eyes might be a social service worker waiting for your loss of control in the situation. You keep control -- on the outside. You ignore the screams, empty the cart, grip the handle with your hands over those little pudgy ones and practically sprint to the doors to escape.... praying the alarm at the doors don't go off for the magnetic whatever you have somewhere.

No, I've never been there. :o)

Okay, in my dreams. But raising children is a challenge, kind of like a roller coaster ride. They embarrass you, they make you proud, they make you look like a liar in front of your friends -- and even those people you don't know very well, but want to impress! They steal gum from the store, they drop to their knees and pray the sweetest prayer -- and you KNOW God's gonna answer it, I mean who could deny that? :o) They bring you beautiful bouquets of dandelions, golden rods and Queen Anne's lace... that make you sneeze for two days, but you wouldn't dream of not keeping them displayed!

Yesterday at the pool, we witnessed a "scene." And it wasn't pretty. The daddy was not a happy camper with his screaming toddler. He screamed, too! He didn't heed his wife's advice to "Shut up!" The child didn't heed his dad's advice to "Shut up!"

However we, the other pool guests, all heeded their advice -- we all shut up! It was a horrible scene. I don't know if the child needed a good spanking or if that daddy did, but I know as they carried that baby away, I had tears in my eyes. My heart ached.

Scripture came to mind:


  • Fathers, provoke not your children to wrath...

  • Children, obey your parents in the Lord...

The pressure on that family knowing that most every eye at the pool- children and adults alike - was on them could have been overriding their normal reactions.

Prayers for that family cried out from my heart.

You see, I found myself, because of my past wondering what if this is that child's last day on earth. What if God's designated time for that child to come Home to be with Him is today... That's one way my suffering has affected my life.

I don't know how I would've handled that situation. I heard other parents/grandparents at the pool share how they'd handle it... I'm not with that child everyday, so that certainly would have an impact. Maybe the child has a learning disability. Maybe the dad does. I don't know...
BUT -- I do know that we are often spoiled little brats when we come to God.
"I want that."
"It's not right for you, my child."
"I don't care! I want it!"
"It will damage you and your walk with Me."
"No it won't! I promise! I can handle it..."
If we could ever come to the place where our lives really -- I mean really lived out Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart, and lean not on your own understanding," Isn't that what we expect from our children? To trust us with all their heart realizing that we understand things that they usually don't.

"In all your ways acknowledge Him" Yep, that says ALL. "And He shall direct your paths."

Shall, that's a promise. No maybe or only in certain situations; if we meet the condition of trusting Him, leaning on His understanding, acknowledge Him - he's got our paths under His control. He will direct us.

Whew! Talk about taking the pressure off.

We don't have to understand.

It doesn't have to make sense.

And you know, if we live our lives trusting, leaning, and acknowledging Him -- our children will see that -- we'll be making a scene! Will life be perfect? Heaven's no -- we're still here, on earth, perfect lives are only in Heaven. But we lean on the Perfecter, the Creator, the All-knowing, All-seeing, Everlasting Father. HE directs us, helps us... forgives us!

So, what's up with your scene? Let me challenge you today to make a scene! Make your scene contagious! Praise the Lord for directing your path! Shout it out! Let the world know, you don't have to understand, but HE does and He's got the plan in action. We're just strolling down His path....

note: clip art provided by Clipart from Clipartheaven.com.

2 comments:

Leila - mommyof4 said...

If I'm not pinching mine in the back of the leg, I'm cracking up all the way to the door! There are literally times when my scene is me, falling all over myself on the shopping cart, doubled over with laughter at the ridiculousness of this child and what she is cying about, all the while my child is still screaming. Talk about getting some looks... now if I could just remember to react this way all the time! (Then I probably wouldn't have to repent so much)

kerleygirlie said...

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!