Saturday, August 18, 2007

Quick Question



Whose will do you want for your life?

Yeah, I know; no brainer, right? The all-knowing, all-seeing God of all creation?

Humm.

So, as we walk along in our daily lives, do we really want the all-knowing, all-seeing God of all creation to do whatever it takes for His will to shine in our lives?

I got to thinking about this. (My grandmother used to say, "I've been a-studyin' on it.") What about those verses in God's Word -- our life's Instruction Manual.


  • Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1 Thess. 5:22 KJV)

Think about that - all appearance. If if looks evil, we're to abstain or stay away. I could dive in right here with all sorts of stuff, but I'll save it for another day. Just consider what looks evil...


  • Do not lie to one another. (Colossians 3:9a NKJV)

Oh goodness.... there it is. Right there in plain letters, black and white, in the Holy Book. Surely he doesn't mean even little white lies, does he? I mean if Mrs. Abernathy asks me if I like her new dress - the pea green one, that's about 3 sizes too big - am I really supposed to be honest?

Uhm -- there's a way out. You don't have to lie with an "Oh, yes. It's beautiful" or something. How about, "Do you like it?" or "Is is comfortable" or "Did you just get that this week?" or something tactful. If you're asked point blank, in a situation like this, you still must obey the Word. Don't lie, but...

  • Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. (Eph. 4:29 NKJV)

Then, there's this one:

  • Do all things without complaining and disputing. (Phil. 2:14 NKJV)

Is that really in there? I mean, does He really think we can do that?

Yep. And here's why:

  • that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. (Phil. 2: 15-16 NKJV)

Whew! What a promise! Think about that -- blameless! harmless! children of God without fault!

How can we ever do this you ask? Yeah, me too! Then I found this:

  • I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. (Romans 12:1-2 NKJV)

So, there it is. We can't live in the center of God's will without renewing our minds daily; without daily presenting our bodies as a LIVING sacrifice made holy through the blood of the Lamb... daily.

Any more doubts?

Well, just in case you're thinking, "that writer has it all together" or "it may be easy for her or some preacher, but me?" I looked, and sure enough, it's still there:

  • I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

You can do it. WE can do it, but only through Christ.

Trust Him and allow Him to work His will out in your life. Trust Him in good times, in disastrous time. Live a life separate, unconformed to this world. Renew your mind by digging in the Word. And remember, through His strength and by His grace, you can live a life that shines for Jesus -- a light in this dark world (Phil 2:15).

Now, whose will do you want in your life?

1 comment:

Leila - mommyof4 said...

Jan- Thanks for encouraging me with this. I have been going through a something.. you know one of those things that you just can't really put a name to but is bothersome non the less? Anyway, I am printing this as soon as I find more printer paper and putting this under my dining table cover (You have to read my blog to find out why!)