Friday, July 27, 2007

Going to Battle with IF ONLY's

Do you ever battle with if only's?

I do. They creep into my thoughts totally uninvited and steal my peace way too often. There's a wide range of if only's, too -- If only I had started the dishwasher sooner, If only I hadn't salted those potatoes so much, ... If only I had taken my daughter with me that August day...

Little if only's. BIG if only's.

Decisions are certainly a part of our lives... some major, some minor. But there's no avoiding decisions -- no matter your age. My cute little two year old great nephew makes decisions. "Do I obey, or try my luck at..." His big blue eyes look up (with eyelashes about a MILE long!), that little slobber covered chin tilts toward his chest, his chubby hand reaching for ... His mind obviously swirling with "Are they gonna stop me?"

What it takes some of us a bit too long to learn is that our decisions bring consequences. Now, if my great nephew reaches for the ... whatever ... it could result in giggles, a mess, a tongue lashing... However, what if he's reaching up toward the stove for a pot of boiling water. The consequences could be devastating! And we as his caregivers would do everything in our power to prevent that from happening.

Do you see where I'm going with this? God, our omniscient, omnipotent Father, is watching our every move. We are reaching toward something. God sees the consequences. Maybe it's a pot of boiling water and we don't realize the danger. He does. He tries to stop us, provides a way out. "...but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." 1 Corinthians 10:13(b)

However -- the if only's come into play when we don't take the "way out" God has provided. Somehow we think we know better. Other times we rush into decisions. What about those decisions we make out of sheer obligation, backed by guilt? Then there's our stubborn pride... BUT sometimes decisions are forced upon us. We had no choice. ... If only those little children in third world countries weren't born with AIDS... they didn't ask to be conceived, and yet their entire life will most likely be filled with suffering. If only...

Plaguing if only's... But here comes the good part. You see, none of our decisions, none of the happenings in this world takes God by surprise. HE knew our decisions before we were ever born. Even better than that -- His will will be carried out in spite of our decisions... though our decisions will have personal consequences. The Revelation of Jesus Christ is written and it won't change.

Though God already knows our decisions, we don't. We are in training. We must learn to make better decisions... He can help: "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting..." James 1:5-6 So, let us begin afresh by asking God for wisdom and having faith that He will give it to us. Then, let us have the courage to make wise decisions limiting future restless nights filled with if only's.

That leaves me with the question, what about all those past if only's? I, along family and friends, have been affected ... One particular decision I made as a teenager haunts me to this day. I feel I led a friend down a wrong path... a very destructive path. Of course I didn't realize it at the time, but nevertheless it has had lifelong consequences -negatively- for my friend... I'm tempted, when I travel down that particular If Only Avenue, to consider her eternal destiny has be thwarted because of me. Yet God reminds me that He is bigger than me and my influence... PRAISE HIM FOR THAT!!

If Only's can be tormenting, but they are done. If you have too many, like I do, we must rely on God's Word and His promise of GRACE. Oh, His sweet amazing grace... "But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)" Ephesians 2:4-5

You see, Satan wants our if only's to eat us alive -- to devour us, if you will. That's his plan. BUT GOD wants us to understand that His grace covers all those past mistakes -- big and small; "But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 5:20-21) We may have to deal with consequences and that's not always easy, but somehow, His grace is sufficient. (2 Corinthians 12:9) The important thing is to understand that if we're in sin, we don't have to stay there. God will offer a way out -- search for it, then TAKE IT!! Surrender your life to Him -- but you'll then have another if only -- If only I had done this sooner!! :)

I promise you'll never regret living for Christ, though. Through HIM we have the victory over the If Only Battle!!

My brother gave me a plaque once that said: The past cannot be changed, but the future is all you want it to be.

Search for ways to make Jesus smile today.....

No comments: