Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Life's Little Surprises

How do you handle life's little surprises?

It's very easy to tell others how to handle them, but when it gets personal...

My husband got a pay cut this week. Not a fun little surprise. I must confess; when something similar has happened to others, my first (and very sincere) response is, "Well, now, you just trust God. He has a plan and you know the Bible promises that ALL things work together for good..."

And, this is the exact advice/comments we have received from family and the few friends we've shared the info with. I KNOW that it's true, but when it's the bread and butter, the food on the table, the electric bill, well, you get the idea.

It got personal.

So, it's time to put our faith to work, yet again. We only THOUGHT we were living by faith to this point. LOL I think I'm through my bitter little pity party and am ready to say, "Yeah, I really do trust You, Father... even when I don't understand."

Maybe you've seen the movie Facing the Giants. What an impressive, inspirational show!

I have a new job. I LOVE it! But it's strictly commission based. I don't know how many times I've quoted the movie line "Give it all you've got and leave the results up to God." Well, let me tell ya... that's easier said than done!! But I'm certainly giving it my best shot! My sweet manager, bless her heart, probably thinks she hired a mental case!! But she's just so patient and encouraging. I thank God for her.

I found myself in tears today wondering how, why, when... all those questions. While pouring out my heart to my King, another line from that movie came to my mind... "Yes, God, I'll still love you even if..."

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." (NKJV)

I wrote a song based on this verse. The chorus goes like this, "When I don't understand... I'll keep on trusting. When it's not how I planned... I'll acknowledge Him. I'll let the Lord direct my path til I'm safely Home at last. I've put my trust in Him."

Well, now, isn't that just like God to give me a song like that then put me to the test? :o)

But, yeah, I DO trust Him, and yeah, I DO trust that ALL things work together for good AND for His glory. (see Romans 8:28)

Life's little surprises. I didn't handle this one too well at the beginning, but hopefully I'll finish well - with GOD!

What about you? How do you handle life's little surprises... when they get personal?

2 comments:

Cavender Family said...

I have to admit that I have my good moments and my bad moments! It seems when no one else around me crashes at the "little surprises", I fall apart. And when those around me seem to crash at the "little surprises", I am a solid rock. I remember when John came home to tell me that he had lost his job. Initially, I became hysterical and he removed me from the public space of our home to our bedroom. Then, I saw my husband break down, and suddenly God turned my hysteria into a pillar of strength offering true words of wisdom that could have only come from Him. I thanked God for those words because they comforted my husband so much. I, too, pray to do better each time. We are to count our selves blessed when we experience trials for His name's sake. Sometimes, it just doesn't feel like a blessing ..... that is until we look back!!!! Big Hugs! Teresa

Leila - mommyof4 said...

You are so right! It is so easy for us to give advice to others! I think about that sometimes when I'm trying to think of something to say to someone's situation. It's hard to find something that doesn't sound cliche' anymore. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. I have always thought that our true, sincere response to a situation- as long as it ends up an acknowedgement to His will- is more pleasing to God than any type of act we could put on about it. In other words, I think God can work with a heart that's being "real" with Him even if its not the "right" "politically correct" response. It is at that time that He can truly change our hearts to have a different response. Keep on keepin' on- we love you!